The number of hairs an individual has is already determined at birth. In boys, beard and other body hair becomes thicker during puberty because of male hormones. New hair is not created, rather hormones simply change the hair's texture. Individual hairs fall out after growing for 3-5 years, and in that spot, new hair grows after 3 months. Hair, therefore, continually repeats the cycle of growth-regression-relaxation.
- Hairloss in women affects roughly 50%
- 40% of men have noticeable hair loss by age 35,65% by age 60, and 80% by age 80.
- Male pattern baldness and female pattern hair loss are the most common conditions.
- Normal hair loss is considered to be 50-100 hairs per day, based on the average scalp containing 100,000 hair follicles.
- 75% of men believe hair loss cannot be prevented.
- Men are more likely than women to look into hair restoration surgery (20% vs. 12%)
- 87% of men don't know that there are scientifically proven and medically approved hair loss treatments.
- 82% of adults known that genetics is one of the causes of hair loss.
- Finasteride and Minoxidil are the only products clinically proven and medically approved for the treatment of hair loss.